Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Buckeye State

Today's hostess for the Sisterhood of Crafters challenge is Diane. The theme is "Where in the World?" (anything that represents the part of the world, country and/or state where you live.) 

Ohio is known as the Buckey State, home of the Ohio State University Buckeyes. The city of Alliance (where I live) is known as "Carnation City". President William McKinley was presented a carnation by Mr. Lamborn who owned Lamborn Greenhouse and grew carnations. President McKinley would always wear a carnation in his lapel. Each year in August we celebrate the Carnation Festival which includes a queen pageant, kid's parade, grand parade, food and music in the park, rib burn off and other activities.

I chose to use a map of Ohio and include the Ohio State emblem and a Carnation.
I started with a base of red card stock and added a panel of black. After fussy cutting around the map I printed from Pinterest, I added the carnation, Ohio State emblem, and the word "Ohio" using pop dots to create dimension. I added a red star over the city of Alliance where I was born and raised. Alliance is only 30 minutes from the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio and 1 hour and 30 minutes from Cleveland home of the Browns, Cavaliers and Indians.

I would love to see your project focusing on your part of the world. Why not head on over to the Sisterhood and join in the fun? You have until 8pm, Sunday July 23rd to enter. Limit of 3 entries per person.

Hope to see you there.

Hugs,
Terri

6 comments:

  1. Wonderfully created Terri!!! Very clever idea to use the map (gotta love Pinterest..lol)...interesting post, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome representation of Ohio ... and Alliance! Great idea to use the map. Love how you showcased the carnation and 'The' Ohio State! LOL Well done! Have a great week/weekend ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another Ohio stamper! That's so great!! I love your card and using a map as your focal point was brilliant! I can tell that I'm going to learn so much from the "Sistahs." I lived in Columbus as a child and then lived outside of Youngstown before we moved to Michigan. Your story about President McKinley was very interesting as well as the festival your city has. Thank you for the very warm welcome to the Sisterhood. I look forward to getting to know all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative to use the map! Love the way you designed your card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool use of the map to shape the State. Live the carnation element.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever to print the map and I love the colours you used! So glad to be on the same DT team with you at The Sisterhood of Crafters!

    ReplyDelete